Tigbauan is known as the Liberation Town.
When the ten Bornean datus under Datu Puti landed in Panay, the families of Maglawis and Labing-isog settled at a river bank teeming with all Tigbaw reeds. So, they called their place Katigbawan. When the Spaniards arrived, they established the encomienda based in Katigbawan which included the present town of San Joaquin, Miag-ao, Guimbal, Igbaras, Tubungan, Leon, and Alimodian under Don Esteban Rodriguez de Figuroa.
in 1575, it became a pueblo named Tigbawan with Francisco Malia as its first capitan. The poblacion was also moved to its present site. They called the old settlement Daanbanwa (now Parara). In 1592, the Jesuits under Fray Pedro Chirino established the first school for boys in the Philippines.
During the Philippine Revolution, Tigbauan joined. It was led by General Fermin Rivas. When the Americans established civil government, they installed Ramon Altura as president
During World War II, the town was one of those that suffered the most under Japanese brutalities. Its war hero was Lt. Napoleon Rivas who was killed during the guerilla assault of Iloilo City. On March 18, 1945, the U.S. Liberation Forces under Gen. Roberto Eichelberger of the U.S. 8th Army landed at Parara.
Some known residents of the town are Mayor Eugenio Torrento (longest termer), provincial board member Domingo Trompeta, Jr., and Brigade General Raymundo Teruel.
Source: The League of Municipalities (Iloilo Chapter) | “A Testimonial Program” | Pototan, Iloilo | January 8, 1998