Pavia, which is 9.6 km. north of Iloilo City and has really emerged from a facile town to a bustling town of industrial and manufacturing firms.
Pavia’s detailed account of history was found in an unpublished report of 1973 edited by Gaudiosa Janeo, Fernando Hubero, and Nelson Gumban and later in the 1977 report of Guia C. Villa-Tomorrow. It is believed that Pavia was officially established in 1848 even before the occupation of the Spaniards and was founded by 13 landowners namely:
Anacleto Hedriana Marcos Evangelista, Barbarino Maquiling, Constantino Gumban, Graciano Gonzaga, one surnamed Ramos, One surnamed Remegio, one surnamed Leocadio, one surnamed Gregorio, Mariano Maquiling, Vicente Hechanova, Locario Jontanilla, and Jorge Jagolino – the first nine of which are being immortalized as nine of the municipal streets are named after them. The place is said to have been a camping place and/or has been derisively referred to as biya-biya which means neglected or abandoned, hence the name Pavia.
Others believe the town got its name from General or Colonel Pavia.
Pavia then became a part of Sta. Barbara in 1901 and seceded from it in 1904 and was attached to the City of Iloilo. In 1907, Pavia together with Leganes and Jaro seceded from the City which made Pavia an arrabal of Jaro. Petronilo Gumban governed Pavia from 1916 until he was elected Presidente Municipal of Jaro in 1920. It was in 1921 that Pavia through the efforts of prominent citizens headed by Delfin Gumban got her total independence from Jaro.
Since that time Pavia has retained her territorial independence.
Source: The League of Municipalities (Iloilo Chapter) | “A Testimonial Program” | Pototan, Iloilo | January 8, 1998