The Garcia Hall Issue
(Text from 19th Fiesta in the City Exhibit)
When the Casa Real was expanded in 1960, then President Carlos Garcia provided funds from the national government.
To thank him, then Governor Jose Zulueta issued Executive Order No. 3-z naming the Session Hall of the Casa Real as “President Garcia Hall,” with the name “to be placed at the back portion of the aforesaid Session Hall facing Iznart St., Iloilo City.”
Shortly later, the Governor also issued Executive Order No. 4-z changing the name of the Casa Real from “Provincial Building of Iloilo” to “Provincial Capitol of Iloilo.” This order was not implemented, however. Instead, the name “President Garcia Hall” was placed on the façade facing Iznart Street.
On 5 April 1961, Atty. Patricio Miguel, former chief of police of Iloilo City, instituted legal proceedings against Zulueta and District Engineer Ricardo Tancinco for violating Republic Act No. 1059 which prohibits the naming of public buildings and places after living persons.
The case reached the Supreme Court which, in G. R. No. L-19869 dated 30 April 1966, affirmed the decision of the Court of First Instance declaring the action of Zulueta illegal. As a result, the was changed to “Bahay Panlalawigan ng Iloilo.”
Read also: List of Iloilo City Cultural Heritage Sites