HIMBON Contemporary Ilonggo Artists Group in partnership with SM City Iloilo.
Christmas Lantern or known as “Parol” in Filipino, is a traditional Filipino symbol of the star of Bethlehem. Also, the most recognized symbol of faith and hope of Christmas in the Philippines. Typically, this Christmas Lantern is made up of metal and plastic materials with lights as an extra decoration.
As Christmas is fast approaching, HIMBON Contemporary Ilonggo Artists Group in partnership with SM City Iloilo will be having this year’s Christmas Lantern Making Contest. The lantern will be inspired from Iloilo heritage and landmarks as to promote our rich cultural heritage. The lantern should not be a replica of the heritage structure but more of serving as accents of part of the lantern design. It should be a whimsical Christmas heritage lantern.
For interested participants, below are the mechanics of the contest:
1. Any bonafide Ilonggo artist or group of artists who are 18 years old and above can join.
2. There must be only ONE (1) entry per artist or group.
3. The dimensions of the lantern must not be more than 48 inches x 36 inches but not less than 36 inches x 36 inches.
4. The weight of the lantern must not exceed twenty (20) kilograms.
5. The design and materials to be used must come from recyclables such as plastic, rubber metal, etc. that can withstand the weather once hanged outdoor.
6. Any use of indigenous materials are prohibited, but using of bamboo to serve as the base or body frame is allowed. Also, lanterns must have hanging provisions.
7. The lantern should be lighted and must look good during daytime. Lighting for lantern or its electric wire must have at least two (2) meters allowance from its plug. The use of Royal Cord or THHN should be strictly followed. Heat of the bulbs should not burn the materials. This is to prevent fire from occurring, in case.
8. Participants can use paints but minimal only.
9. The judging for lanterns will be made when it is already furnished and functioning.
10. Entries shall be judged daytime without lights and nightime with lights.
11. Winning entries will be turned over to SM City Iloilo as their legal property. Consolation winner and participating entries shall be displayed for one (1) yearin SM City Iloilo or Molo Mansion.
12. The organizer has the right to disqualify entries that do not conform to the mechanics or rules and regulations.
13. The decision of the judges are final and irrevocable.
14. Submission of entries is on December 9, 2019 at Southpoint, SM City Iloilo. Awarding will be on December 22, 2019
15. For more details, kindly contact secretariat:
Lee Pedregosa – 0999 998 8770
Vic Fario – 0998 556 2675
CRITERIA FOR JUDGING:
Relation to the theme – 25%
Craftsmanship – 35%
Uniqueness – 20%
Visual Impact – 20%
INDIVIDUAL CASH PRIZE WILL BE AWARDED TO THE FOLLOWING WINNERS:
1st – 30,000
2nd – 20,000
3rd – 15,000
Five (5) consolation prizes will receive a cash prize of 5,000.00\